Mjahid M. Zebari
I am interested in the structural development of the fold-thrust belts and its expression in the evolved landscape. My work is based on field observations, remote sensing techniques, landscape modeling and geochronology. Currently, I am working on determining long-term slip rates from tectonic geomorphology, structural modeling and OSL dating of the Zagros Fold-Thrust Belt in Kurdistan Region of Iraq.
- Since 2021: Postdoctoral Scientist at LMU München
- 2013-16: Assistant Lecturer - Salahaddin University-Erbil
- 2021: PhD University Jena (PhD thesis)
- 2011-13: Master of Science - University of Nebraska-Lincoln (Thesis)
- Zebari, M., Preusser, F., Grützner, C., Navabpour, P. and Ustaszewski, K., (2021): Late Pleistocene-Holocene slip rates in the Northwestern Zagros Mountains (Kurdistan Region of Iraq) derived from luminescence dating of river terraces and structural modeling. Tectonics, in press, dx.doi.org/10.1029/2020TC006565.
- Forti, L., Perego, A., Brandolini, F., Mariani, G. S., Zebari, M., Nicoll, K., Regattieri, E., Barbaro, C. C., Bonacossi, D. M., Qasim, H. A., Cremaschi, M. & Zerboni, A. (2021). Geomorphology of the northwestern Kurdistan Region of Iraq: landscapes of the Zagros Mountains drained by the Tigris and Great Zab Rivers. Journal of Maps, doi: 10.1080/17445647.2021.1906339.
- Zebari, M., Balling, P., Gruetzner, C., Navabpour, P., Witte, J., & Ustaszewski, K. (2020). Structural style of the NW Zagros Mountains and the role of basement thrusting for its Mountain Front Flexure, Kurdistan Region of Iraq. Journal of Structural Geology, 104206, doi:10.1016/j.jsg.2020.104206.
- Amine, A., El Ouardi, H., Zebari, M., El makrini, H., & Habibi, M. (2020). Relative Landscape maturity in the South Rifian Ridges (NW Morocco): inferences from DEM-based surface indices analysis. Applied Computing and Geosciences, 100027. doi:10.1016/j.acags.2020.100027.
- Amine, A., El ouardi, H., Zebari, M., & El makrini, H. (2020). Active tectonics in the Moulay Idriss Massif (South Rifian Ridges, NW Morocco): New insights from geomorphic indices and drainage pattern analysis. Journal of African Earth Sciences.
- Zebari, M., Gruetzner, C., Navabpour, P., & Ustaszewski, K. (2019). Relative timing of uplift along the Zagros Mountain Front Flexure (Kurdistan Region of Iraq): Constrained by geomorphic indices and landscape evolution modeling, Solid Earth, 10, 663-682, https://doi.org/10.5194/se-10-663-2019.
- Zebari,M., Burberry, C. M. (2015). 4-D evolution of anticlines and implications for hydrocarbon exploration within the Zagros Fold-Thrust Beld, Kurdistan Region, Iraq. GeoArabia, 20 (1), 161-188.
- Amine, A., Zebari, M., El ouardi, H., 2019, Evaluating the impact of active tectonism in the Moulay Idriss massif, South Rifain Ridges, Northern Morocco, Geophysical Research Abstracts, Vol. 21, EGU2019-1608.
- Amine, A., Zebari, M., El ouardi, H., 2018, Evaluation of relative landscape maturity of south eastern anticlines of South Rifian Ridges, Moroccan Rif Cordillera, British Society for Geomorphology Annual Meeting.
- Zebari, M., Navabpour, P., Grützner, C., and Ustaszewski, K., 2018, Estimating the Relative Uplift Time of Anticlines based on Landscape Maturity and Evolution Modeling: NW Segment of the Zagros Mountain Front Flexure, Kurdistan Region of Iraq, 17th Symposium on Tectonics, Structural Geology and Cristalline Geology (TSK), Jena.
- Zebari, M., Navabpour, P., Grützner, C., and Ustaszewski, K., 2018, Surface Deformation Related to the 12 November 2017 Iran-Iraq Border Earthquake (MW 7.3) and its Aftershocks: Insights from InSAR Data, 17th Symposium on Tectonics, Structural Geology and Cristalline Geology (TSK), Jena.
- Zebari, M., Burberry, C., 2013, Evolution of Fault-Related Folds and their Hydrocarbon Trapping Potential: Kurdistan Region of Iraq, AAPG Annual Convention and Exhibition, AAPG Search and Discovery Article #90163.
- Zebari, M., and Burberry, C., 2012, Characteristic and Evolution of Folds from Integrated Field Data and Land Surface Features: Zagros Fold-Thrust Belt, Kurdistan Region-Iraq, Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs Vol. 44, No. 7.
- Zebari, M., and Burberry, C., 2013, Geometry and Evolution of Fold Structures within the High Folded Zone: Zagros Fold-Thrust Belt, Kurdistan Region-Iraq, Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, Vol. 45, No. 7, p. 516.
- Zebari, M., Navabpour, P., Grützner, C., and Ustaszewski, K., 2018, Assessing Relative Landscape Maturity of Anticlines along the NW Segment of the Zagros Mountain Front Flexure, Kurdistan Region of Iraq, Geophysical Research Abstracts, Vol. 20, EGU2018-17446.